Douglas Riddell founded Riddell Law after practicing for years as a public defender in the Franklin County Municipal Court and as a private criminal defense attorney in small boutique firms in the Columbus area. His practice focuses on criminal defense, including defense of DUI/OVI, criminal misdemeanor and traffic charges.
Doug’s experience includes representing clients in county, municipal and mayor’s courts throughout Ohio facing OVI, traffic, and criminal charges. His pragmatic and proactive strategic approach has helped countless clients achieve favorable outcomes in their criminal and traffic cases.
Doug represents clients facing a wide range of criminal misdemeanor and traffic charges, including DUI / OVI, speeding tickets, traffic violations, underage drinking, domestic violence, resisting arrest, reckless driving, theft, criminal damaging, disorderly conduct, domestic violence, drug crimes, drug paraphernalia, fraud, juvenile crimes, hit skip, probation violation, and vandalism, among other charges.
Awards & Recognitions
- Lexis-Nexis / Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Ratings, AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rating. The AV Preeminent® Rating is the highest possible rating given by LexisNexis Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review for a lawyer and is established wholly on a peer-review basis. The AV Preeminent designation signifies that Mr. Riddell has been rated by judges and fellow attorneys as having the highest possible rating for legal abilities and ethical standards. This “is a significant rating accomplishment – a testament to the fact that a lawyer’s peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence.”
- Listed, Ohio Rising Star, SuperLawyers Magazine 2014. Doug was chosen as one of only four Ohio Rising Stars in the area of Criminal Defense: DUI. Ohio Super Lawyers is a rating service of outstanding lawyers from more than 70 practice areas who have attained a high-degree of peer recognition and professional achievement. The selection process is multi-phased and includes independent research, peer nominations and peer evaluations. The Rising Stars list consists of selected attorneys who are 40 or under, or who have been practicing for 10 years or less. No more than 2.5 percent of the lawyers in the state are named to the list.
- Rated 10.0 / 10.0 on Avvo.com. Mr. Riddell has received the highest possible rating by Avvo.com. To determine their ratings, Avvo evaluates a lawyer’s background. The rating is calculated using a mathematical model that considers the information shown in a lawyer’s profile, including a lawyer’s years in practice, disciplinary history, professional achievements and industry recognition.
- Listed, “Top Lawyers” by Columbus CEO Magazine in 2014.
- Ohio Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Columbus Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
- U.S. Federal District Court, Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. Federal District Court, Northern District of Ohio
- What You Should Know About Municipal Courts, Ohio State Bar Association (4/22/13)
- What You Should Know About Obstruction of Justice (Update), Ohio State Bar Association (1/10/13)
- Appellate Judges Review Court Decisions (Update), Ohio State Bar Association (1/9/13)
- What You Should Know About Plea Bargains in Criminal and Traffic Cases (Update), Ohio State Bar Association (12/29/12)
- What to Expect in Traffic Court (Update), Ohio State Bar Association (1/3/13)
- “Castle Laws” Change Self-Defense Rights (Update), Ohio State Bar Association (1/8/13)
- OVI/DUI Law, Second Chance Counseling Driver Intervention Program
- OVI/DUI Law, Crossroads Recovery Services Driver Intervention Program
- University of Notre Dame, B.A., Political Science, 2002
- University of Cincinnati, J.D., 2005